An IAS officer in the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare stated that India had taken precautionary measures before WHO declared COVID as pandemic.
Former Congress President Rahul Gandhi had tweeted that the Narendra Modi led government was in a stupor in dealing with the coronavirus outbreak.
According to DD news, Lav Agarwal from the Ministry of Health said that India had taken precautionary measures much before WHO had declared coronavirus as a health emergency. He further added that under the supervision of the Prime Minister, the disease was reviewed and constantly monitored at both the political and administrative levels. He also said that universal screening was started initially on the 17th of January at Mumbai, Delhi, and Calcutta, and later at other 30 International airports. Additional measures were also taken by the Central Ministry along with the State and Union Territories to strengthen quarantine facilities, trained manpower, isolation wards, and management team for a rapid response against COVID-19.
Moreover, Prime Minister Narendra Modi had also tweeted that the government was fully vigilant about the situation created due to COVID-19. He also added that multiple steps had been taken for the safety of all.
The World Health Organisation (WHO) Director had declared COVID-19 as pandemic on March 11, 2020.
The COVID-19 pandemic has given rise to a lot of potentially dangerous misinformation. For reliable advice on COVID-19 including symptoms, prevention and available treatment, please refer to the World Health Organisation or your national healthcare authority.