On June 7, the govt announced that it would procure 75% of vaccines from the manufacturers and the remaining 25% can be sold to private hospitals.
On June 8, 2021, the Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare released a memorandum announcing a price cap for administering COVID-19 vaccines in private hospitals. The government set a maximum price for Covishield and Covaxin at Rs 780 and Rs 1,410 per dose, respectively; whereas, Russia’s Sputnik V vaccine has is capped at Rs 1,145 per dose, the Indian Express reported.
The Centre further warned the private hospitals of strict action if anyone is found charging more than the set prices and asked the state governments to monitor the fees being charged by the private centers strictly.
On June 7, 2021, Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced that the Centre would provide free vaccines to states for immunization of all above age 18, starting June 21. According to a circular released by the Union Health Ministry, the Centre would do 75 percent of vaccine procurement from the manufacturers, and the remaining 25 percent can be sold by the producers directly to the private hospitals. In addition, the government said that it would bear the expenses of all the vaccines supplied to states.
The COVID-19 pandemic has given rise to a lot of potentially dangerous misinformation. For reliable advice on COVID-19 including symptoms, prevention and available treatment, please refer to the World Health Organisation or your national healthcare authority.