Gov. Andrew Cuomo has been accused of sexual assault by two of his former staff members and a former campaign worker.
In an interview with The New York Times on February 27, 2021, Charlotte Bennett (former aide to Gov Cuomo) accused Cuomo of asking her several questions about her personal life, including whether she had been intimate with older men. Bennett told The New York Times that Cuomo never made any advances at her. The Washington Post reported that Governor stated a formal apology on March 1, 2021, saying that "what was said had been misinterpreted as an unwanted flirtation, but denied he ever inappropriately touched or propositioned anyone in his office."
Another former aide, Lindsey Boylan, accused the Governor of sexually harassing her. On February 25, 2021, Boylan told The Washington Post her uncomfortable experiences with Cuomo is dated from 2016 to 2018. From rumors about Cuomo "having a crush" on Boylan, suggesting strip poker while on his private jet, and giving her an unwanted kiss on the lips, Boylan narrated several incidents to The Washington Post.
Cuomo and his office have denied the details of the allegations but have called for an investigation, as reported by The New York Times.
In a statement broadcasted on February 20, 2021, Cuomo said that, "At work sometimes I think I am being playful and make jokes that I think are funny. I do, on occasion, tease people in what I think is a good-natured way.” On March 1, 20201, New York Attorney General Letitia James told CNBC that Cuomo’s office had formally requested an independent investigation of the allegations made by Bennett and Boylan.